Sunday, September 11, 2011

The Morning


10 years ago today,  I sat with Danny on one side of me and Emma Rose in my lap and watched as the plane struck the 2nd tower.  It was total disbelief that TWO planes had struck those towers and I listened as Katie Couric and Matt Lauer tried to figure out what was happening.  The horror in their voices as they realized that this was a terrorist attack still haunts me today.

When I was able to regain my thought patterns and realize what was happening,  I sent the kids to another room to play.  This was too much for adults to handle and I didn't want to traumatize them by causing them to realize this was real.  This wasn't a movie.  Danny asked what happened and I told him the plane wrecked into that building.  He shared with me that it sure caused a lot of smoke.  

Yes,  it caused a lot of smoke, a lot of chaos, a lot of deaths, a lot of heartache,  but most of all, it created a lot of fear.  Fear that hasn't really ever left since that day.  It's almost every day that we hear of "planned attacks" or maybe there is a new threat coming from somewhere in a place of which we've never heard.  Our lives after September 11, 2001, have never had that same joyous abandon of life before that date.  We no longer believe that we are indestructable because that day showed us that we are.  We no longer take everything, like our freedom,  for granted,  because it has come with a high price tag attached.

The smoke that so impressed a little 4 year old in Tennessee that day,  still binds us.  It binds us in hatred and in fear of what can happen to us at a moment's notice.  It keeps us looking over our shoulders, wondering where the next attack might happen or if another attack will happen here on our soil.

I choose to not live in that fear, though I will admit,  sometimes it's hard not to.  I choose to live by the verse I used in my status today.  John 14:27 which says, " Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you,  not as the world gives, give I unto you.  Let not your heart be troubled,  neither let it be afraid."    

Let's live with HIS peace today, and tomorrow,  and for all days afterwards...............

No comments: