Sunday, November 6, 2011

A New Day

I'm sitting here this morning,  just enjoying the quiet and the beauty of the morning.  It's a clear, frosty, Sunday morning and the world seems silent, as is usual for a Sunday morning.  The hurrying of the past week is over and those who were in such a hurry have settled in for a morning to rest before beginning all over again tomorrow.

I love these mornings. The cat has plastered herself over the arm of the sofa like Snoopy on top of his dog house.  The dogs are curled together on the ottoman in front of the fire, occasionally whimpering and moving their legs as if running.  Perhaps they are dreaming of rabbits or of chasing the cat.  The aroma that comes from my coffee cup draws me to think of the fall weather and the holidays to come. 

At some point today,  I will be able to open the door or the windows and the quiet will be broken by the sounds of bicycles on the street,  scooters being ridden,  and children calling to one another.   I'm quite sure that at some point, the cat will be found in the livingroom window, laying in the sun,  and Annie will be watching and listening for any sound that will indicate somebody somewhere sneezed, or spoke, or yawned and heaven help my ears if they dare to walk out into her line of vision.  Lucy?  Well,  Lucy will be alert for anything and everything that might scare her.

But for now,  the quiet continues.  The steady hum of the fridge in the kitchen and the hiss of the flame from the fireplace is almost sleep inducing.  Maybe I will join my 3 four-legged buddies and we will all enjoy another brief nap on a quiet Sunday morning.

No comments: