Friday, August 26, 2011

Time

D and I were out and about yesterday for a while.  When we passed the high school,  I went back a few years in time to remember picking up a couple boys after school in the evenings.  Was it really all that long ago?  Seems like it should have just been yesterday.

Now I pick up another brown eyed boy, at that same school, at those same doors,  and I'm sure it's all a mistake.  Surely this boy I'm picking up is not the son of my son,  but he is.   It's hard for me to see Danny the teenager sometimes because I still see the little boy with such blond hair it was almost white,  and those eyes so brown they were almost black.  He would drop that head, lift that eyebrow, and Nana was in trouble.

That school also has 2 other grandsons of mine.  Where oh where has time gone?  I can still hear Jon as he would burst into my front door,  that little arm swinging for all it was worth and he would shout,  NANA!  I  heah!!  Those eyes just shining and a smile from ear to ear.  Gage was the one with the giggles that sounded like notes on a musical scale, and the eyes were such a bright blue that you couldn't miss them.  Constantly moving.  There was an entire world to explore!

How can time just cruise on down the highway and leave me sitting here with a lifetime of memories like this? But aren't memories wonderful?  I'm so glad we have them.  On gray gloomy days,  I can once again hear the door open,  hear those musical giggles,  and see those huge brown eyes and remember 3 precious little boys.

No comments: