Saturday, August 27, 2011

Frustrating Laundry or Duvets Are Not For Pirates

Several months ago,  I had this fantastic thought that I would love to have a duvet for my bed.  Why?  I have NO idea,  but when I found one in the right colors at Ross, and for the right price,  I brought it home, put it over my comforter, and proudly showed it off.

Somehow, some way,  that wonderful Yankee I pledged my troth to (what is that anyway) had managed to get lotion or sunscreen on the duvet.  So,  this morning,  this pirate, after enjoying her coffee in the wonderful, cool breeze flowing through her house,  decided she would wash said duvet.

I thought I might be in trouble when it took me 5 minutes to get it unbuttoned and get the comforter out.  I also had an inkling there might be a problem when said comforter was no longer white,  but had a distinct burgundy cast to it.  However, not to be undone,  I put it in the washer, put a couple woven place mats with the same colors, and a rug that says,  "hand wash only".  Yes,  I bought not only that rug,  but another one just like it.  I figured,  cold water, gentle spin,  it was all good.  And it was.......

Until I took the duvet out of the washer.  Not only had this cover managed to turn itself inside out,  but while doing so,  it managed to inhale the place mats, and the rug.  It took me 10 minutes to get that stuff out of the inside of this duvet.   Everytime I would find the opening and think that I had everything slid down far enough to reach it,  it would slide right back to the upper end.  I know I turned that thing around and around at least 7 times, losing the insides every time.  Finally, in a moment of frustration,  after growling like a lion, scaring the dogs, and causing the cat to literally hiss at me,  I stood on the end of the duvet with the opening, raised it as high as I could, got the other end and shook it.  At last I had success and removed the offending articles that had caused me so much frustration.

I'm going to Walmart and buying myself a quilt.  Duvets are not for Pirates.

No comments: