Thursday, August 25, 2011

The Dove


This evening, my dog, sitting in the kitchen, began to growl.  That is pretty unusual for Lucy because as a rule, she doesn't even  bark unless Annie tells her to bark.  I went to check out what she was looking at.

On the top of the pool wall,  sat a white dove.  A beautiful white dove.  I honestly can't remember seeing these beautiful birds except in the zoo.  We have bird feeders in our yard and we have the regular gray doves all the time, but this is a first. 

When I saw this bird,  I just stood and watched it through the door.  Such grace and beauty,  and no fear at all.  She walked around the top of the pool and then flew down to the ground to eat.  

As I watched,  my mind went back years and years ago when as a young teen,  the group I sang with sang a song "On the Wings of a Dove".  If you have never heard the song, it's about God sending down His love on the wings of a snow white Dove.  In the moment of watching the dove,  I could recall all the words and the times when God used a dove to show His love for His children.

This past year, year and a half has been one of the hardest years of my life, both physically and mentally.  Many, many times it has taken everything within me, just to crawl out of bed to face the day.  I'm only sharing this because this evening, when I saw that beautiful white dove, and remembered the words to that song,  inside myself,  I remembered that God does love me,  and God does care about me.  No matter what I may be going through, HE is there, whether or not anybody else notices or cares.

I have often made the statement that sometimes God has to use a baseball bat to get my attention.  Today He used a dove, sitting on the wall of our pool, to deliver a message of love to somebody who has lost her way.  I much prefer the Dove.

No comments: