Friday, February 24, 2012

Two Little Girls and A Flower

Today has been one of those days that you sometimes wish you didn't have to get up and go grocery shopping.  The kind of day you just want to lay around in your jammies and eat bonbons and drink coffee.  However,  my evening took a bit of a different turn. One that brought a smile to my face and a laugh to my heart.

Two little girls, around the age of 6 or 7,  live on my street.  They can usually be found riding bikes, scooters,  4 wheelers,  stomping in mud puddles and carrying kittens around.  This evening they took a different approach.  Answering a knock at my door,  brought me face to face with these two little ones.  One of them was carrying a clip board, looking very professional.  Our conversation was as follows:

Alyssa:  Would you like to buy something?
Me:       What are you selling?
Brooklyn and Alyssa:   Flowers
Me:       What kind of flowers?
Alyssa:  Pretty ones
Me:       Do you have a picture of these flowers?
Alyssa:  No
Me:      Well,  can I see your papers?  (Thinking at first they might be selling for school)
Alyssa:  No
Me:      I can't see your papers?
Alyssa: Shakes head No.
Me:      Well,  how much are these flowers?
Alyssa:  Two dollars
Me:      Are you going to share the money? (By now I realized they were pretending)
Brooklyn:   No.   I get a dollar and Alyssa gets a dollar.  (But they aren't sharing the $2)
Me:     I tell you what girls,  when you bring me some flowers,  I will give you $2.  The surprised grin on their face and their ability to clear my porch in 1.2 seconds was a dead give a way as to their intentions.

I turn and go back to finishing up my dinner.  Ree and the kids are here and all of us realized what was happening.   I had a feeling it was only a matter of time until the 2 little girls returned with something.  Sure enough,  less than 5 minutes later,  there was another knock on my door and there they stood.  Big smiles on their faces,  holding a beautiful purple flower.   I got $2 from my purse and gave them each a dollar and thanked them for the beautiful flower.   The smiles on their faces was worth far more than the $2.

I have no idea where they got that flower.  Perhaps a dish garden somewhere is missing a purple flower,  perhaps a mom said "Sure, you can have the flower",  or a flower in someone's yard is missing.   I simply have no idea.

What I do know is that for a 10 minute period this afternoon, two precious little girls brought a smile to my face and laughter to my heart.  Thank you Alyssa and Brooklyn!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That really was priceless
Ree :)

Anonymous said...

Just now getting a chance to read your latest blog...That is such a pretty flower!! Yep, I'm betting someones flower bed, or dish garden, is minus one purple flower...Very pretty...very sweet..Zips